Saturday, July 9, 2011

Proof!

I  felt brave the other day and decided to ascertain for certain if my Hive #2 is building their comb straight on my experimental top bars.
I probably should have planned a little better and put my camera onto a tripod but, well, here is the video of a random bar I pulled from the middle of the hive.



I was so excited and relieved. It looks like I'm on the right track for hive design. I have not had to correct the comb on a single bar so far. The comb is being built down the center of the bars and is not being attached to the walls of the hive body at all.

Hive #2 is thriving with nearly 15 full combs built since I hived them May 11, as apposed to hive #1 which is struggling and has no new comb.  I'm sure it is because Hive #1 swarmed twice and then had a bout of mites. All this really unfriendly weather is not helping either.
Click to make larger

While I was checking Hive #2 there was a tiny wild bee pollinating the grass plume next to the hive. It was only about 1/3 of an inch long.

Hive #1 seems to be on the mend though. I checked last week for brood and found plenty.


They must have solved the Queen problem themselves. I think they will make a good recovery, especially if the weather improves (which it has not yet).

We are supposed to be in the primary nectar flow of the Himalayan Blackberry in the Willamette Valley. But the rain and cool weather has postponed the blooms by almost a month.
I have been keeping the hives supplied with jars of syrup and pollen patties to get them through these drizzly days.

No comments:

Post a Comment